Digital Marketing Specialist
Job Title: Digital Marketing Specialist
Salary: To be determined, based on experience
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Redwood City, California
The Digital Marketing Specialist is responsible for implementing all aspects of digital marketing, including website content creation and management (using WordPress), social media marketing, email marketing, search engine optimization, and related analytics tracking and reporting. From time to time, this may include the design, ideation or oversight of paid online advertising.
This is an exciting opportunity to get involved in one of the largest Community Choice Energy programs in California with a mission to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) by providing cleaner energy along with community programs to reduce GHGs. In addition to providing clean energy to its customers, Peninsula Clean Energy also develops and deploys a variety of community programs supporting building electrification, electric vehicle (EV) adoption, EV charging solutions and a variety of energy pilot projects.
Reporting to the Marketing Communications Manager, the Digital Marketing Specialist will support the overall Peninsula Clean Energy marketing objectives:
- To improve awareness and perception of Peninsula Clean Energy among our residential and commercial/industrial customer base and other key stakeholders such as regulators and legislators;
- To meet or exceed participation goals in community programs;
- To meet or exceed ECO100 “opt-up” goals (i.e. converting ECOplus customers to ECO100 100% renewable energy).
This role requires coordinating key messages with overall marketing and public relations messaging and initiatives as well as supporting online outreach to drive responses to Requests for Proposals or encourage participation in real-world community events.
ABOUT PENINSULA CLEAN ENERGY
Peninsula Clean Energy is the Community Choice Energy provider for San Mateo County and is a public agency. In order to provide greener energy and to meet local climate action goals, the city councils of the 20 San Mateo County communities and the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously in 2016 to form Peninsula Clean Energy. The communities served are Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco, Woodside and unincorporated areas of San Mateo County.
Peninsula Clean Energy purchases energy from clean generation sources (such as solar, wind and hydropower) to serve its customers. The customer base includes about 300,000 accounts, serving a population of 765,000, with a total electrical load of almost 4 million megawatt-hours. Residential customers comprise about 270,000 of the accounts, and approximately 40% of the electrical load, with commercial/industrial comprising the remaining 30,000 accounts and approximately 60% of the electrical load. Peninsula Clean Energy has an annual operating budget of about $200 million and operates on a not-for-profit basis.
Peninsula Clean Energy offers two different electricity choices for its customers: 1) ECOplus is the default mix and (during calendar year 2018) included 51% renewable energy, 35% large hydroelectric and 2) ECO100 which was made up entirely of solar and wind energy sources during calendar year 2018. Both of these electricity choices were significantly cleaner and priced 5% less than electricity delivered by the local investor-owned utility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that the Peninsula Clean Energy website is continually enhanced and updated (including search engine optimization) to support the overall marketing communications plan, brand attributes, specific campaigns and programs and that it engages audiences with relevant and accessible information.
- Develop and maintain a consistent online voice for Peninsula Clean Energy primarily through website, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
- Increase engagement and impressions garnered through owned media.
- Manage the social media calendar in coordination with the overall storytelling plan.
- Gather or create content for deployment via Peninsula Clean Energy owned media, including website, social media channels and email.
- Publish the Peninsula Clean Energy monthly email newsletter. Develop and implement tactics to grow the opt-in email list.
- Collaborate with other marketing and programs functions on the design and execution of social media marketing campaigns and communications.
- Monitor website, social media and, if applicable, online advertising analytics; regularly report on trends.
- Stay up-to-date on social media opportunities, trends and tools.
- Support other Marketing Department activities as needed, including assisting with occasional evening and weekend community outreach.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, marketing or similar field
- 4+ years’ experience in website design, social media marketing
- Storytelling principles, methods, techniques and modes
- Digital marketing principles, methods and tools
- Website development principles, methods and tools
- Email marketing tools (e.g. Constant Contact, Mailchimp)
- Adobe InDesign or Creative Cloud
- WordPress or other content management system; Flywheel or similar staging sites
- Google, Twitter and Facebook Analytics
- Microsoft Office Suite, collaborative tools (e.g. Box, Slack, etc.)
- Desired but not required: environmental sustainability, climate change or energy industry background
- Communicate complex information in a simple, understandable way that is appropriately tailored to specific target audiences. Use written, oral and visual methods for communication.
- Manage multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Take responsibility and work independently
- Collaborate with others, listen well and resolve conflicts
- Be thorough and detail-oriented
- Demonstrate patience, tact, and courtesy
PHYSICAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a typical office setting with exposure to computer screens and at public events (fairs, meeting rooms, farmers’ markets, etc.) with moderate noise and will require occasional evening and weekend work. The noise level in the work environment is usually typical of an office environment and public events.
PHYSICAL: While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit, walk, and stand; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; reach with hands and arms. Employees are occasionally required to walk and stand for prolonged periods; stoop, bend, kneel and twist; and may lift up to 20 pounds. Employees must be able to communicate in person, in writing, and by telephone with Board members, management, co-workers, vendors, consultants, and with the public in face-to-face, one-on-one, and group settings.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance and retirement plan contributions.
Submit applications to email@example.com with a subject line:
“Digital Marketing Specialist: [Your name] ”
The application must include:
PENINSULA CLEAN ENERGY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER