Job Title: Account Services Specialist
Salary: $85,000 – $105,000
Job Type: Full Time
Requires California residency. Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE) is a remote-first work environment with a preference to hire staff that live in or within a 100-mile radius of San Mateo County, CA. Employees will be expected to attend in-person meetings on a monthly to quarterly basis at the Peninsula Clean Energy office in Redwood City. COVID-19 vaccination and boosters required.
Concerned about sustainability and climate change? Want to apply your talents to the fast-growing, vitally important area of clean energy and do meaningful work that helps the community and the environment? Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE) is a dynamic, not-for-profit governmental organization that seeks a skilled operational professional who wants to work in a collegial, innovative, and mission-driven environment. Come grow with us as we address climate change and lead the way forward with clean energy solutions. The Account Services Specialist plays a key role within Peninsula Clean Energy supporting customer service and operations. The position reports to the Director of Account Services, and regularly collaborates with PCE Strategic Accounts, Programs, Marketing and Finance teams.
Account Services team members work directly with residential and/or business customers via email and telephone, and through in-person meetings and interactions. They are expected to be knowledgeable of PCE programs and to provide customers or other staff with technical explanations of PCE billing mechanisms. To be effective, the Account Services team members will also need to develop familiarity with PG&E programs and billing mechanisms and be able to analyze and explain usage and billing data for customers and other staff.
The Account Services team also assists on occasion with outreach and community events within the PCE service territory, to both educate and build relationships with various groups.
- Effectively explain PCE offerings to customers and respond to questions clearly and adequately.
- Explain utility bill details and charges and communicate billing information to customers.
- Perform rate, cost comparisons, and bill analysis for customers as needed.
- Support call center operations, and customer escalations.
- Manage incoming customer inquiries with professionalism and tact while ensuring written correspondence with customers is clear, grammatically correct, consistent, and timely.
- Troubleshoot customer billing issues
- Work with external vendors and partners to track and resolve operational and customer issues related to program participation and billing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, customers, local community groups and organizations and PCE Board members.
- Review phone and email interactions between customers and customer service representatives.
- Work with marketing team and external partners to develop and prepare required annual customer mailings.
- Work with external vendor for billing operations to develop billing mechanisms to support customer programs.
- Manage customer metrics (e.g. participation rate)
- Support Account Services special projects.
Qualifications and Desired Skills
- BA/BS degree in engineering, public policy, environmental science, operations management, business/economics or closely related field.
- At least two years of experience in an energy products or services company, public agency, utility, customer service, design/consulting firm or a related organization.
Desired Skills/Ability To
- Take responsibility and work independently, as well as coordinate or participate in team efforts.
- Perform rate comparisons and bill calculations with multiple rate classes, tiers and billing components.
- Exercise sound judgment in applying appropriate policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate creative problem solving and commercial awareness.
- Express compassion and empathy when managing customer complaints.
- Communicate effectively both verbally (by phone and in-person) and in written form.
- Manage projects and time efficiently
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple projects and customer inquiries with strong attention to detail.
- Represent PCE with confidence and enthusiasm.
- Be self-motivated with a strong drive to resolve issues quickly and effectively.
- Manage multiple priorities and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Demonstrate patience, tact and courtesy at all times.
Salary and Benefits
Compensation commensurate with experience. Peninsula Clean Energy offers a generous benefits package, including:
- Individual, family, and domestic partner health insurance.
- Retirement and Employer Matching Contributions.
- Health and dependent care flex spending account.
- Cell phone and internet stipend for remote work.
- Paid Parental Leave.
- Paid Vacation.
How To Apply
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit the items listed below in PDF format to email@example.com with the email subject line title “Account Services Specialist: YOUR NAME”
- Cover letter expressing interest in the position
- Written responses to 2 supplemental questions:
- Please describe your experience with managing a difficult customer interaction. Describe the situation and the steps you took to resolve the issue.
- Tell us what interests you most about this role and why you would like to join Peninsula Clean Energy.
About Peninsula Clean Energy
Peninsula Clean Energy is a Community Choice Aggregation agency. It is the official electricity provider for all of San Mateo County and the City of Los Banos. Peninsula Clean Energy’s customer base consists of almost 315,000 accounts, serving a population of 810,000.
Founded in 2016 with a mission to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the county, the agency provides 100% clean energy at lower cost than PG&E. As a community-led, not-for-profit agency, Peninsula Clean Energy makes significant investments in our communities to expand access to sustainable and affordable energy solutions. Peninsula Clean Energy is on track to deliver electricity that is 100% renewable by 2025.
Peninsula Clean Energy’s mission is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by expanding access to sustainable and affordable energy solutions. This includes providing cleaner power at lower rates with virtually GHG-free power as its standard power service. We have aggressive decarbonization goals including delivering 100% renewable energy on an hourly basis by 2025 and supporting our service territory in reaching comprehensive decarbonization for transportation and buildings by 2035. Peninsula Clean Energy is making significant and growing investments to advance these objectives, providing a full spectrum of programs and pilots to serve the community.
Peninsula Clean Energy is committed to complying with applicable laws, including the Americans with Disability Act and Fair Employment and Housing Act, ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability. Peninsula Clean Energy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on age, sex or gender (including but not limited to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), genetic information or characteristics, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, marital status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws.
The information contained herein has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The information also does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject to change.
Peninsula Clean Energy is an equal opportunity employer.