Job Title: Electric Vehicle Associate Programs Manager
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Requires California residency. Peninsula Clean Energy is a remote-first work environment. Employees will be expected to attend in-person meetings on a monthly to quarterly basis at the Peninsula Clean Energy office in Redwood City, CA.
The Electric Vehicle Associate Programs Manager works under the direction of the Director of Energy Programs at Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE) and has responsibility for driving the implementation of EV charging infrastructure installation and associated programs within Peninsula Clean Energy service territory. The role will lead Peninsula Clean Energy’s innovative $28 million EV Ready program with a goal of installing 3500 charging ports in the service territory as well as support other programs including workforce development, managed charging, ride-hailing electrification, e-bikes, Low Carbon Fuel Standards (LCFS) credits, and possibly other areas. This is an exciting opportunity to advance innovation and greenhouse gas reductions. This person will play a significant role in program partner and client relations management. The ideal candidate will have at least three to five years of directly related experience including proficiency in EVs and EV charging systems.
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. Peninsula Clean Energy offers competitive benefits. More information is available below and at www.pencleanenergy.com.
About Peninsula Clean Energy
Peninsula Clean Energy is the community choice energy program (known as a “CCA”) for San Mateo County and portions of Merced County. Peninsula Clean Energy’s customer base includes almost 300,000 accounts, serving a population of 800,000, with a total electrical load of almost 4 million megawatt-hours.
Peninsula Clean Energy’s mission is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by expanding access to sustainable and affordable energy solutions. This includes providing cleaner power at lower rates with virtually GHG-free power as its standard power service. We have aggressive decarbonization goals including delivering 100% renewable energy on an hourly basis by 2025 and supporting its service territory in reaching comprehensive decarbonization for transportation and buildings by 2035. Peninsula Clean Energy is making significant and growing investments to advance these objectives, providing a full spectrum of programs and pilots to serve the community.
This position requires strong collaboration skills to work with internal and external stakeholders of multiple levels. It also requires an understanding of technical aspects of EV charging and installation in commercial scenarios, especially multifamily buildings and workplaces. The ideal candidate would also have strong familiarity with construction and labor practices, as well as the interconnection details associated with installing EV chargers. We are looking for someone who is highly organized, has strong attention to detail, and able to support activities across multiple projects.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Client relations such as engaging property owners (public and private) to encourage installation of EV charging including understanding property owner concerns, following the progress of major projects, and addressing problems which may arise.
- Directing and coordinating technical assistance consultants and program partners to ensure overall program effectiveness, tracking budget, goals, and implementing process improvements.
- Executing per program objectives, including meeting budget and schedule
- Recommending program improvements including changes to incentives, eligibility or business processes.
- Managing incentive applications including validating submitted rebate reservations and applications and disbursing funds to eligible projects.
- Reporting on program metrics and analysis of installation costs in a range of scenarios.
- Developing materials for use in internal and external presentations and meetings.
- Developing and executing requests for proposals (RFPs) including defining objectives and evaluation criteria, coordinating with communications team for publication, evaluating proposals, and recommending awards.
- Forming relationships with contractors and labor unions in the EV ecosystem.
- Developing and tracking performance metrics, producing projections of program impacts, and utilizing analytics tools to develop program targeting.
- Drafting Board memos on transportation electrification programs.
- Presenting to senior staff
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, engineering, environmental planning or a related field and a minimum of three to five years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities described above including working at a EV charging product and services company, installation and construction firm, CCA / utility, and/or major site or EV programs implementer.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Direct experience with EV infrastructure including types and installation requirements, estimating costs and administration requirements, permitting requirements and familiarity with electricity rate schedules and electrical service connection policies and procedures.
- Existing relationships with a significant number of EV product companies, stakeholders, and installers.
- Experience working with facilities managers and property owners.
- Experience working directly with contractors, labor unions, and managing a project bid process
- A successful history executing installation projects.
- Experience reviewing technical drawings and permits.
- Experience evaluating or inspecting building electrical capacity, including electrical panels and utility interconnection capacity
- Experience with load calculations and modeling basic EV energy utilization.
- Familiarity with load balancing, demand response, and energy storage and other strategies to manage electrical capacity and load; willingness to work with subject matter experts.
- Experience / knowledge of LCFS program
- Knowledge of state and local EV charging funding programs
- Take individual initiative to build relationships with customers and partners.
- Provide excellent attention to detail; demonstrate patience, tact, and courtesy.
- Speak clearly and concisely to deliver verbal information to diverse audiences.
- Produce strong written products with strong logistical and quantitative analysis.
- Exercise sound judgment, creative problem solving, effective dispute resolution, and commercial awareness.
- Manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Take responsibility and work independently, as well as coordinate team efforts.
- Provide thorough research which may include reviewing and summarizing of research papers from national labs and industry sources, data acquisition (such as meter and commute data, etc), and quantitative calculation of power use and charging utilization.
- Establish and maintain effective, professional working relationships with PCE staff, Citizens Advisory Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Support occasional evening and weekend meetings as needed.
- Travel throughout the region as needed to attend meetings and functions.
- Work with intermediate and advanced MS Office functions, including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Administer charging systems using charging network management tools (such as ChargePoint, Greenlots).
- Work with tools including Gantt charts and project management tools, CRMs and other advanced project tools.
- Be part of a team of committed people.
No direct supervisory role anticipated at this time, but this could change as Peninsula Clean Energy grows over time.
Remote Working Model
At the current time, Peninsula Clean Energy has adopted a remote-first policy with work primarily performed from a home office. Office space is available in Redwood City if preferred. Employees are expected to live within 100 miles of the Redwood City office, but exceptions can be made with approval of the employee’s supervisor and the CEO. Employees will be expected to attend in-person meetings on a monthly to quarterly basis.
Submit application materials to: email@example.com with a subject line: “EV Associate Program Manager: Your Name”
The application materials must include:
- Cover Letter
- Responses to the three Supplemental Questions listed below.
- Please describe your experience managing energy project installations including how you have worked with contractors, how to assess electrical capacity needs, and other technical requirements for successful installations.
- Please outline specific projects you have worked on with consultants and clients. Specify your role plus a material challenge encountered and how you resolved it.
- Describe tasks that you have led that required significant attention to detail and public speaking. What are some of the take-aways you have learned in these areas?