|Are you interested in working for a cutting-edge start-up company that is doing something NOW for the environment? Do you possess the skills and experience to help launch a community choice energy program? If so, please apply for this amazing opportunity to the part of the solution – Director of Finance and Administration.
The Director of Finance and Administration is a member of the senior management team and a strong partner to the Chief Executive Officer, providing leadership in the overall growth, management, and strategic planning of the organization. This position has direct responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related activities. The position provides dynamic leadership and guidance to the PCE staff and PCE Board of Directors.
This is a full-time exempt position that reports directly to the CEO and typically works Monday through Friday with required occasional weekend/night presence at events, and Committee or Board of Director meetings. This position may eventually supervise additional financial staff and manages the relationship with our external accounting and audit teams. As a start-up public agency with a small amount of staff, it is expected that this position will be a hands-on finance and administration director.
The salary for this position is negotiable, depending on experience.
PENINSULA CLEAN ENERGY
Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE) is the new community choice energy program for San Mateo County. PCE is the electricity provider for all electricity accounts in the 20 communities in San Mateo County (Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco, and Woodside) as well as the unincorporated county. The city councils of each city were all unanimous in their support of joining PCE, which is a joint powers authority.
This customer base includes almost 300,000 accounts as of May 2017, serving a population of 765,000, with a total electrical load of almost 4 million megawatt-hours. Residential customers make up about 270,000 of the accounts, and 37% of the electrical load, with commercial/industrial making up about 30,000 accounts and 63% of the electrical load. PCE became the fifth operating CCE when it launched in October 2016, and is currently the largest of all of the existing CCEs. Other CCEs include Marin County, Sonoma County, the City of Lancaster, and San Francisco City and County.
| Examples Of Duties:
|Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct responsibility for accounting, finance, organization-wide budgets, banking relationships, and administrative purchasing and contracting
- Direct liaison for the annual audit
- Responsible for managing or drafting the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Collaborate with CEO and other key players in managing and optimizing revenue streams
- Ensure timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends and forecasts, and monthly financial statements/reports
- Work closely with procurement team to verify accuracy of invoices for energy purchases
- Manage external contracted information technology (IT) vendor, including the purchase and setup of equipment for employees, and regular maintenance of IT assets
- Manage human resources functions for small organization, currently consisting of 9 employees and growing to 20
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in the development and implementation of organization-wide policies and programs that will contribute to its overall success
- Work closely with and present robust data to members of the Board of Directors
- Act as staff liaison to the Finance and Audit committee of the PCE Board of Directors
- Monitor and ensure effective internal controls are in place to safeguard assets and ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations
- Directly interface with and manage certain aspects of outside vendors/contractors providing products or services to PCE, including but not limited to accounting, audit and tax filings, insurance, payroll services, and IT
- Work in collaboration with other Department managers and senior directors to ensure that all contracts with outside vendors are in compliance with all policies and procedures of the organization
- Identify, develop and implement best practice improvements to processes and procedures to achieve meaningful results, greater productivity, efficiency and consistency
- Maintain PCE financial/operations model and update regularly to reflect current conditions
- Prepare presentations and financial metrics for review by credit rating agencies
This position will have future supervisory responsibilities for staff within the finance and administration department.
|Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or economics; CPA/MBA (or equivalent) a plus but not required
- Minimum of 10 years of increasing responsibilities in the accounting/finance function and at least half of that time supporting organizations of comparable business size preferably in the energy sector
- Experience with HR functions, including defined contribution plans
- Experience managing IT systems and assets for small businesses
- Energy sector and/or government finance/accounting experience preferred and a plus
- Knowledge of community choice energy programs in California
- Previous experience working with an external board and governmental agencies a plus
- Experience making public presentations
- At least three (3) years of direct supervisory experience of individuals and/or secondary departments preferred
- Proficiency in general ledger software and 3rd party payroll services
- High proficiency in a PC Windows environment or Mac environment
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word Adobe Acrobat and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to provide exceptional accounting, finance, and budgets and present such information which is user friendly to the various stakeholders and audiences
- Knowledge of financial reporting for government entities in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Ability to review and revamp as necessary organization policies and procedures as they specifically relate to internal controls
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex topics in easy to understand presentations before the Board, staff and other audiences
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of customer service, urgency, results-orientation, diplomacy and confidence
- Ability to think and act strategically, and promptly respond to tactical questions, concerns, and problems either via email, phone or in person
- Manage multiple priorities and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Thorough and detail-oriented, with a superior level of accuracy and precision in work products
- Ability to demonstrate leadership through robust, effective, and respectful partnerships with all staff, board members and volunteers and demonstrate effective influence skills
- Ability to provide solid analytical skills working with quantitative data, organize information effectively and provide useful data
- Ability to follow-through to successful completion all projects and communications
- Demonstrate patience, tact, and courtesy at all times
- The physical demands described here are representative of those required for the position. Position requires sitting, walking, standing, bending, and twisting in the performance of daily activities. The position requires hand manipulation and repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. The position requires near and far vision in reading reports and use of a computer. Acute hearing is required in supporting meetings and providing phone and in-person customer service. The position occasionally requires lifting and/or moving objects up to 20 pounds. PCE will make reasonable accommodation of the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability upon request.
|To apply for this exciting opportunity, please complete the required sections of the online application and attach the following items in PDF format using the County’s online application system at http://jobs.smcgov.org.
If you are currently on the County website, you may click the “Apply” button. Emailed submissions or incomplete application materials will not be accepted.
- Cover letter expressing interest in the position
- Responses to the following supplemental topics:
- Provide a summary of your qualifications for the position of Director of Finance and Administration.
- Please provide applicable experience working for a government agency and/or in the energy industry, or how your experience relates to working for an energy-related government agency.
- Please describe your experience using general ledger software, including the software packages you have used, and your experience with 3rd party payroll services.
- Please describe your experience managing HR and IT activities.
- Please describe a finance or accounting challenge that you encountered in your career and how you handled that challenge.
You may attach your responses to the application or complete them as part of the application. If you attach your responses, please indicate this in the areas provided in the application following the supplemental topics.
Final Date for Submitting Application Materials: June 16, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
Application Screening (tentative): June 19, 2017
Panel Interviews (tentative): June 21, 2017
Finalist Interviews (tentative): June 22, 2017
For questions regarding this position and the recruitment, please contact Chet Overstreet at (650) 363-4385.
Please note: This recruitment is being conducted in collaboration with the County of San Mateo. The employer of the position is Peninsula Clean Energy. PCE offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
To learn more about the position and/or to apply, please click the link below. If link is not available, please read the information above for detailed instructions on how to apply.