Marketing Communications Manager
Job Title: Marketing Communications Manager
Salary: To be determined, based on experience
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Redwood City, California
The Marketing Communications Manager is responsible for planning and implementing marketing communications to residential and commercial audiences and other external stakeholders. This role has broad scope including all aspects of owned, earned and paid media. Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Community Affairs, the Marketing Communications Manager will supervise internal and external resources responsible for public relations, digital and social media marketing, company website, graphic design, printed collateral, email marketing, direct mail, and storytelling in various modes. The Marketing Communications Manager will work with the Director of Marketing, CEO and other senior management to refine and further develop the Peninsula Clean Energy brand identity.
This is an exciting opportunity to get involved in one of the largest Community Choice Energy programs in California with a mission to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) by providing cleaner energy along with community programs to reduce GHGs. In addition to providing clean energy to its customers, Peninsula Clean Energy also develops and deploys a variety of community programs supporting building electrification, electric vehicle (EV) adoption, EV charging solutions and a variety of energy pilot projects. The Marketing Communications Manager is a key contributor to the achievement of the marketing team’s objectives:
- To improve awareness and perception of Peninsula Clean Energy among our residential and commercial/industrial customer base and other key stakeholders (including efforts to establish Peninsula Clean Energy as a thought leader in innovative energy programs and procurement strategies);
- To meet or exceed participation goals in community programs;
- To meet or exceed ECO100 “opt-up” goals (i.e. converting ECOplus customers to ECO100 100% renewable energy).
About Peninsula Clean Energy
Peninsula Clean Energy is the Community Choice Energy provider for San Mateo County and is as public agency. In order to provide greener energy and to meet local climate action goals, the city councils of the 20 San Mateo County communities and the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously in 2016 to form Peninsula Clean Energy. The communities served are Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco, Woodside and unincorporated areas of San Mateo County.
Peninsula Clean Energy purchases energy from clean generation sources (such as solar, wind and hydropower) to serve its customers. The customer base includes about 300,000 accounts, serving a population of 765,000, with a total electrical load of almost 4 million megawatt-hours. Residential customers comprise about 270,000 of the accounts, and approximately 40% of the electrical load, with commercial/industrial comprising the remaining 30,000 accounts and approximately 60% of the electrical load. Peninsula Clean Energy has annual operating budget of about $200 million and operates on a not-for-profit basis.
Peninsula Clean Energy offers two different electricity choices for its customers: 1) ECOplus is the default mix and (during calendar year 2018) included 51% renewable energy, 35% large hydroelectric and 2) ECO100 which was made up entirely of solar and wind energy sources during calendar year 2018. Both of these electricity choices were significantly cleaner and priced 5% less than electricity delivered by the local investor-owned utility.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement marketing communications plans and campaigns to achieve Peninsula Clean Energy’s marketing objectives.
- Assist in identifying, bringing on board, and managing needed resources including staff and external consultants or agencies to provide graphic design services, public relations assistance, copywriting, media buying, website development, and other services as needed.
- Collaborate with other marketing functions (e.g. Programs Marketing and Community Relations) on the design and execution of marketing campaigns and communications.
- Oversee design, purchasing and production of branded giveaways in support of community outreach events.
- Develop a content plan to increase awareness and perception of Peninsula Clean Energy (including messaging and storytelling in modes appropriate to specific customer and stakeholder segments).
- Oversee the implementation (messaging, writing, design, production) of the content plan, which may include press releases, story pitches, blog posts, white papers, images, infographs, videos, etc.
- Direct the design and production of printed collateral materials, print or banner ads, postal mailers, etc., when specified as part of a campaign.
- Direct the implementation of digital media plans, including social media, search engine optimization, AdWords, online media buying.
- Ensure that the Peninsula Clean Energy website is continually enhanced and updated to support the overall marketing communications plan, brand attributes, specific campaigns and programs and that it engages audiences with relevant and accessible information.
- Manage, grow and develop the opt-in email list and communications to that list, including periodic email newsletters.
- Manage execution of marketing communications within budget parameters.
- Evaluate effectiveness of marketing communications campaigns,
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing, external PR consultant/agency, CEO and other senior management to develop and implement a public relations strategy to establish Peninsula Clean Energy as a thought leader in innovative energy programs and procurement strategies through tactics such as engagement with local and industry media, speaking opportunities, press relations, article placements, article placements, OpEds, events (e.g. groundbreaking and ribbon-cutting for new energy developments), etc.
- Monitor media mentions of Peninsula Clean Energy and other relevant industry news.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in communications, public administration, environmental studies, marketing or a related field
- At least 10 years’ experience in marketing, including 4+ years in a management role
- Experience working in a creative marketing, public relations, digital marketing or ad agency is desirable.
- Marketing communications planning principles and techniques
- Storytelling principles, methods, techniques and modes
- Brand identity development and message testing
- Digital marketing (including social media) principles, methods and tools
- Website development principles, methods and tools
- Media relations principles, methods and tools
- Environmental sustainability, climate change or energy industry
- Microsoft Office Suite, collaborative tools (e.g. Box, Slack, etc.), CRM, email marketing tools (e.g. Constant Contact, Mailchimp)
- Desired but not required: Adobe InDesign or Creative Cloud, WordPress
- Communicate complex information in a simple, understandable way that is appropriately tailored to specific target audiences. Use written, oral and visual methods for communication.
- Manage multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Take responsibility and work independently
- Direct, supervise and coordinate the work of assigned staff and external resources
- Collaborate with others, listen well and resolve conflicts
- Be thorough and detail-oriented
- Demonstrate patience, tact, and courtesy
PHYSICAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a typical office setting with exposure to computer screens and at public events (fairs, meeting rooms, farmers’ markets, etc.) with moderate noise and will require occasional evening and weekend work. The noise level in the work environment is usually typical of an office environment and public events.
PHYSICAL: While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit, walk, and stand; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; reach with hands and arms. Employees are occasionally required to walk and stand for prolonged periods; stoop, bend, kneel and twist; and may lift up to 20 pounds. Employees must be able to communicate in person, in writing, and by telephone with Board members, management, co-workers, vendors, consultants, and with the public in face-to-face, one-on-one, and group settings.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance and retirement plan contributions.
Submit applications to email@example.com with a subject line:
“Marcomm Manager: [your name]”
The application must include:
Peninsula Clean Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.