Used Electric Vehicle Rebate Program
Frequently asked questions
All residents of San Mateo County and the City of Los Banos are eligible for the base incentive. Income-qualifying residents may be eligible for the increased incentive.
- Vehicle is a used PHEV or BEV (PHEVs must have a minimum 25-mile electric range)
- Vehicle is 8 model years old or newer (e.g., for 2022 = 2015 or newer)
- Vehicle cannot have a sale price above $35,000 (excludes taxes, fees, warranties, or incentives; refer to Line 1-A “Cash Price of Motor Vehicle and Accessories” of Sale’s Contract)
- Vehicle is purchased within 90 days of your rebate application approval, unless an extension is granted (vehicles purchase before approval are not eligible)
- Vehicle must be purchased at a dealership or online retailer (private sales are not allowed)
- Vehicle must be registered to the address in your application
Rebates vary according to application type, whether the rebate is combined with other EV incentive programs, and when the vehicle is purchased. Rebate amounts are as follows:
|Plug-in hybrid EV||Battery EV|
|Increased rebate (for income-qualified residents)||Up to $3,700||Up to $4,000|
Unfortunately, no. Residents must apply and be approved for the program prior to purchasing the vehicle to qualify for the rebate.
Yes, Peninsula Clean Energy’s rebate can be combined with other income-qualifying EV rebate programs, such as the Clean Cars for All Program, the Driving Clean Assistance Program, and the Clean Vehicle Assistance Program.
Once approved, you can redeem your rebate two ways:
- At the time of purchase through a participating dealership, or
- As a post-purchase rebate check mailed to you (if purchased at a non-participating retailer).
Yes. If you purchase your vehicle at one of the participating dealerships, you will receive your rebate at the time of purchase. If you purchase your EV at any other dealership or online retailer (e.g., Carvana), you’ll need to submit your purchase details, wait for verification, and (if verified) receive the rebate check in the mail. Car purchases made from an individual who is not a certified retailer do not qualify for this program.