Home Upgrade Program
No-cost electric appliances, energy efficiency upgrades, and home repairs
This program provides income-qualified homeowners with home repairs and energy efficiency upgrades at no cost. You can improve your home, making it more comfortable, healthier, and even save money on your utility bill.
How to qualify
To qualify for the Home Upgrade Program, you must:
- Live in San Mateo County or the City of Los Banos
- Own and live in a single-family home, duplex, triplex, or fourplex
- Use gas or propane appliances to heat your home, heat your water and/or cook and be willing to replace at least one of these appliances.
- Meet one of the qualifying household income requirements:
- Residency in Affordable Housing, Public Housing, or Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8), or Below Market Rate Housing
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
- California Unemployment Insurance (UI), Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC), or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)
- CalFresh/SNAP (Food Stamps)
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- CalWORKs (TANF) or Tribal (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Free or Reduced National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Energy Savings Assistance Program (ESA)
Your household makes less than the total combined household income maximum*
|Household size||Total Maximum|
|Each additional person add||$11,700|
*Income guidelines based on CA Department of Housing and Community Development’s State Income Limits for “Low-Income” households for San Mateo County. Income guidelines may change in future iterations of the program.
1. Qualifying appointment
After you pre-apply, RHA will contact you for the initial interview and to schedule your no-cost in-home qualifying appointment at a time convenient for you.
2. Energy assessment
A trained energy advisor will conduct a home assessment, determine which energy efficiency upgrades and minor home repairs you qualify for and coordinate installation of your upgrades
3. Installation of upgrades
Skilled contractors will install your energy-efficient upgrades and home repairs at no cost.
Talk to our program team
Peninsula Clean Energy has partnered with Richard Heath & Associates as well as and El Concilio in San Mateo County and Bright Ideas Construction in Los Banos to administer the Home Upgrade program:
- RHA will help set up your qualifying appointment with El Concilio or Bright Ideas Construction, and once you have been enrolled, will complete your energy assessment and coordinate installation
- El Concilio or Bright Ideas Construction will work with you to complete your program enrollment
If you have any questions about the program, please contact PCE-HomeUpgrade@rhainc.com or 650-449-6525.
Frequently asked questions
Am I eligible?
All Peninsula Clean Energy customers are eligible if they meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the section: how to qualify
What if I’m a renter?
At this time, this program is only available to homeowners who meet the eligibility criteria.
How long wilI it take to get my upgrades?
Projects can require 2 – 3 months from enrollment to completion, depending on the level of complexity, availability of appliances and access to the home. Ongoing supply chain disruptions and labor shortages due the Covid 19 Pandemic continue to cause delays. Actual completion times may vary.
Who can I contact with additional questions?
- Email questions to: PCE-HomeUpgrade@rhainc.com
- Call 650-449-6525 and ask about the Home Upgrade Program