Manager, Data and Technology
Job Title: Manager, Data and Technology
Salary: To be determined, based on experience
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Redwood City, California
PENINSULA CLEAN ENERGY
Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE) is a joint powers authority formed by the County of San Mateo and each of its 20 cities to offer greener electricity to its residents and businesses to meet local climate action goals. PCE is governed by a Board of Directors, which is comprised of a representative from the governing body of each member community.
The principal purpose of PCE is to provide clean energy to the residents of San Mateo County. PCE operates as a Community Choice Energy program for its member communities by purchasing electricity from clean generation sources (such as solar, wind and hydropower) on behalf of customers in its service area. Electricity is still delivered over the existing distribution system, which will continue to be owned and operated by the current electric utility. Implementing PCE’s program helps achieve local community climate actions goals. PCE serves approximately 300,000 customers.
The Manager, Data and Technology works under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer and has responsibility for a wide range of Peninsula Clean Energy’s data management sources and requirements. The ideal candidate will be an experienced manager of data and technology and will help PCE to oversee the development and use of data systems for energy related data including large volume meter data. The successful candidate will investigate and implement efficient ways to organize, store and analyze data, and will oversee the implementation of security and confidentiality protocols that create a secure environment and streamline analytic efforts by various teams within PCE.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of databases and best practice for data processing and analytics processes, offer data management strategies, and improve all aspects of data handling. The successful Manager, Data and Technology will be responsible for the timely and secure acquisition, transfer and preparation of data for various purposes in the organization by working with external partners.
The position will not have any supervisory responsibilities, at least at the beginning, but the successful candidate will require team leadership skills and may have oversight responsibility for external contractors depending on the project. It is possible that the roles and responsibilities could expand at a later date to require the addition of more junior roles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Creating and enforcing policies for effective data management including building and enhancing databases
- Formulating processes for quality data collection and uploading to ensure adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of data
- Devising and implementing efficient and secure procedures for data management and analysis with attention to all technical aspects
- Create and enforce policies for effective data management and managing security and permissions to protect data
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing between PCE employees and external stakeholders/partners
- Support others in the daily use of data systems and ensure adherence to legal and company standards
- Assist with reports and data extraction when needed
- Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades, etc.)
- Ensure digital databases and archives are protected from security breaches and data losses
- Troubleshoot data-related problems and authorize maintenance or modifications
- Review data for inconsistencies or anomalies that could skew analytical results
The ideal candidate would have:
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other related or relevant field
- At least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in data management or data analysis
- Proven experience in a manager-level role overseeing similar responsibilities
- Excellent understanding of data administration and management functions (collection, cleaning, analysis, distribution, etc.)
- Familiarity with modern database and information system technologies
- Experience with energy data including interval meter data, energy pricing data, and energy customer attributes
- Experience with cloud platform data services including Google Cloud, Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure; cloud platform data storage and management tools; Linux configuration; SQL databases; programming tools such as Perl and Python; and other related applications
- Experience in evaluating different data warehouse systems, launching the system, populating the system with our data, and then managing it
- Working with large data sets
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Access, Word etc.)
- Manage multiple priorities and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Take responsibility and work independently, as well as coordinate team efforts within PCE and the greater CCA community
- Communicate effectively verbally about complex topics in easy to understand presentations
- Be thorough and detail-oriented
- Work accurately and swiftly under pressure
- Demonstrate patience, tact, and courtesy
PHYSICAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
TEMPORARY: Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, work will be performed in a remote, work- from-home environment until at least September 7, 2020, and will likely continue in that structure for some time after that to be determined by PCE’ management.
ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a typical office setting with exposure to computer screens with moderate noise and will require some evening and weekend work. The noise level in the work environment is usually typical of an office environment and public events.
PHYSICAL: While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit, walk, and stand; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; reach with hands and arms. Employees are occasionally required to walk, and stand for prolonged periods; stoop, bend, kneel and twist; and may lift up to 20 pounds. Employees must be able to communicate in person, in writing, and by telephone with Board members, management, co-workers, vendors, consultants, and with the public in face-to-face, one-on-one, and group settings.
Salary and Benefits.
Compensation commensurate with experience. PCE offers a generous benefits package, including
- Individual, family and domestic partner health insurance
- Retirement and Employer Matching Contributions
- Health and dependent care flex spending account
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Vacation
- Other benefits
Application and Selection Process
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit the items listed below in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter expressing interest in the position
Peninsula Clean Energy is an equal opportunity employer.