Current Open Positions:
Job Title: Senior Renewable Energy Analyst
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Redwood City, California
The Senior Renewable Energy Analyst works under the direction of the Director of Power Resources and supports other managers at PCE, as well as the Chief Executive Officer. In this capacity, the Senior Renewable Energy Analyst has a wide range of responsibilities for advancing PCE’s power procurement and strategic studies. Results of the Senior Renewable Energy Analyst’s studies are presented to senior management, the PCE Board of Directors, key customers, stakeholders and community members. This person will play a major role in developing a power portfolio to meet PCE’s goal to be 100% renewable by 2025.
We are seeking a candidate with solid energy analytics and modeling expertise to lead the development and maintenance of key operational energy models. The ideal candidate will bring a mix of energy modeling experience, technical acumen, and a desire to innovate and transform the energy industry.
More information is available below and at www.peninsulacleanenergy.com.
About Peninsula Clean Energy
Peninsula Clean Energy is a joint powers authority formed by the County of San Mateo and each of its 20 cities to offer greener electricity to its residents and businesses to meet local climate action goals. PCE is governed by a Board of Directors, which is comprised of a representative from the governing body of each member community.
The principal purpose of PCE is to implement a Community Choice Energy program for its member communities. PCE purchases electricity from clean generation sources (such as solar, wind and hydropower) on behalf of customers in its service area. Electricity is still delivered over the existing distribution system, which will continue to be owned and operated by the current electric utility. Implementing PCE’s program helps achieve local community climate actions goals. PCE serves approximately 304,000 accounts as of June 2019.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Renewable Energy Analyst will be responsible for creating complex technical models to provide analysis related to power supply planning, load forecasting, energy procurement, risk management, market monitoring, regulatory compliance and settlements. The individual in this position will develop significant subject matter expertise in PCE’s operations and will be required to work independently on various projects as they come up, including topical research and process improvement. It also requires an understanding of technical aspects of electric energy use, and ability to research and analyze associated data.
We are looking for someone who is highly organized, has strong attention to detail and able to manage activities across multiple projects. Specific responsibilities include:
- Create and maintain various supply and demand-side models to support key forecasting, procurement and programmatic initiatives.
- Build and maintain long-term valuation tool for renewable and storage offers, including RFO and unsolicited proposals.
- Assist with the administration of power procurement processes, review and analyze proposals for electric power supply (conventional, renewable and carbon-free energy, resource adequacy, congestion revenue rights, and ancillary services).
- Assist in preparation and presentation of information and recommendations to assist PCE staff and Board in assessing and identifying “best fit” power procurement opportunities for PCE.
- Monitor positions and complete risk analysis for energy generation and trading portfolio.
- Develop market and portfolio models and analyze PCE’s power supply position to effectively monitor and manage exposure to adverse market changes.
- Conduct research and develop models to identify opportunities for portfolio optimization, budget savings, congestion cost avoidance and project development.
- Analyze trends in electric and natural gas markets. Maintain long-term price forecasts for energy, resource adequacy, environmental products, inflation, and other key planning assumptions.
- Build and maintain long-term resource planning tool for the development of internal and regulatory-mandated integrated resource plans.
- Analyze risk and value around complex transactions and portfolio positions, including power generation, load forecasts and load scheduling, hedging strategies.
- Develop expertise in and lead efforts to continually improve PCE’s data systems and processes.
- Work with IT consultants and software vendors to select, build, and maintain critical procurement functions, including deal capture, portfolio risk analysis, load management, and contract management systems.
- BA/BS degree in engineering, environmental studies, economics, business or other related fields.
- 5+ years’ experience in energy analysis and modeling.
- Advanced Excel modeling skills; highly proficient with Microsoft Excel and ability to build reports and work with large volumes of data
- Strong quantitative skill set, including expertise with Microsoft Office, VBA, and data analytics tools (such as SQL, GAMS, R, SAS, MatLab, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience with financial and/or quantitative analysis, including forecasting and performing cost/benefit and trend analyses.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to synthesize and communicate complex quantitative and statistical analysis topics to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge of energy generation technologies, including carbon neutral electric energy, conventional energy and renewable energy.
- Efficient implementation of projects and utilization of time with a high level of attention to detail.
- Management of multiple priorities and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with the California energy industry and electric power markets specifically, including organizations such as the CAISO, CPUC, CEC and the CA ARB.
- Intrinsic curiosity and motivation to understand new concepts, tackle hard problems, and ask hard questions.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience working with software tools and applications relevant to the energy/utility industry is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with production simulation and statistical forecasting modeling, trading software, and other procurement software and systems.
- General understanding of basic Data Science Methods & Approaches.
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in project management, environmental studies, or clean energy business.
- Familiar with mission and goals of Peninsula Clean Energy.
- Deliver excellent written products with strong logistical and quantitative analysis.
- Deliver excellent public speaking across diverse audiences.
- Exercise sound judgment, creative problem solving, effective dispute resolution, and commercial awareness.
- Manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Take responsibility and work independently, as well as coordinate team efforts.
- Be thorough and detail-oriented; demonstrate patience, tact, and courtesy.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with persons encountered during the performance of duties.
- Work as needed to attend evening and weekend meetings and presentations.
- Interact professionally and effectively with customers, commercial partners, PCE staff team, Citizens Advisory Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Work with intermediate and advance MS Office functions, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Be part of a team of committed people.
No direct supervisory role anticipated at this time, but this could change as PCE grows over time. The incumbent will be expected to provide some guidance, mentorship and training to more junior analysts as appropriate.
Physical and Working Conditions
ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a typical office setting with exposure to computer screens and at public events (fairs, meeting rooms, farmers’ markets, etc.) with moderate noise and will require some evening and weekend work. The noise level in the work environment is usually typical of an office environment and public events.
PHYSICAL: While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit, walk, and stand; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; reach with hands and arms. Employees are occasionally required to walk, and stand for prolonged periods; stoop, bend, kneel and twist; and may lift up to 20 pounds. Employees must be able to communicate in person, in writing, and by telephone with Board members, management, co-workers, vendors, consultants, and with the public in face-to-face, one-on-one, and group settings.
Submit application materials to:
with a subject line: “Sr RE Analyst: Your Name”
The application materials must include:
- Cover Letter
- Responses to the four Supplemental Questions listed below
- Please describe how your education and experience have prepared you for this position, and how the position fits into your career goals and aspirations.
- Please describe your familiarity and experience with various analytical tools (Excel, VBA, SQL, Python, R, etc.). How would this experience help you in this position and how would you use these tools to further PCE’s mission?
- Please provide an example of a complex analysis you performed and how you communicated the results to non-technical audiences.
- In this position, you will be part of a small, but growing, team of professionals. Describe your experience working as part of a team and indicate how you add value to the team. If you have managed or supervised employees, please describe that experience as well.
Peninsula Clean Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary: To be determined, based on experience
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Redwood City, California
The Digital Marketing Specialist is responsible for implementing all aspects of digital marketing, including website content creation and management (using WordPress), social media marketing, email marketing, search engine optimization, and related analytics tracking and reporting. From time to time, this may include the design, ideation or oversight of paid online advertising.
This is an exciting opportunity to get involved in one of the largest Community Choice Energy programs in California with a mission to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) by providing cleaner energy along with community programs to reduce GHGs. In addition to providing clean energy to its customers, Peninsula Clean Energy also develops and deploys a variety of community programs supporting building electrification, electric vehicle (EV) adoption, EV charging solutions and a variety of energy pilot projects.
Reporting to the Marketing Communications Manager, the Digital Marketing Specialist will support the overall Peninsula Clean Energy marketing objectives:
- To improve awareness and perception of Peninsula Clean Energy among our residential and commercial/industrial customer base and other key stakeholders such as regulators and legislators;
- To meet or exceed participation goals in community programs;
- To meet or exceed ECO100 “opt-up” goals (i.e. converting ECOplus customers to ECO100 100% renewable energy).
This role requires coordinating key messages with overall marketing and public relations messaging and initiatives as well as supporting online outreach to drive responses to Requests for Proposals or encourage participation in real-world community events.
ABOUT PENINSULA CLEAN ENERGY
Peninsula Clean Energy is the Community Choice Energy provider for San Mateo County and is a public agency. In order to provide greener energy and to meet local climate action goals, the city councils of the 20 San Mateo County communities and the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously in 2016 to form Peninsula Clean Energy. The communities served are Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco, Woodside and unincorporated areas of San Mateo County.
Peninsula Clean Energy purchases energy from clean generation sources (such as solar, wind and hydropower) to serve its customers. The customer base includes about 300,000 accounts, serving a population of 765,000, with a total electrical load of almost 4 million megawatt-hours. Residential customers comprise about 270,000 of the accounts, and approximately 40% of the electrical load, with commercial/industrial comprising the remaining 30,000 accounts and approximately 60% of the electrical load. Peninsula Clean Energy has an annual operating budget of about $200 million and operates on a not-for-profit basis.
Peninsula Clean Energy offers two different electricity choices for its customers: 1) ECOplus is the default mix and (during calendar year 2018) included 51% renewable energy, 35% large hydroelectric and 2) ECO100 which was made up entirely of solar and wind energy sources during calendar year 2018. Both of these electricity choices were significantly cleaner and priced 5% less than electricity delivered by the local investor-owned utility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that the Peninsula Clean Energy website is continually enhanced and updated (including search engine optimization) to support the overall marketing communications plan, brand attributes, specific campaigns and programs and that it engages audiences with relevant and accessible information.
- Develop and maintain a consistent online voice for Peninsula Clean Energy primarily through website, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
- Increase engagement and impressions garnered through owned media.
- Manage the social media calendar in coordination with the overall storytelling plan.
- Gather or create content for deployment via Peninsula Clean Energy owned media, including website, social media channels and email.
- Publish the Peninsula Clean Energy monthly email newsletter. Develop and implement tactics to grow the opt-in email list.
- Collaborate with other marketing and programs functions on the design and execution of social media marketing campaigns and communications.
- Monitor website, social media and, if applicable, online advertising analytics; regularly report on trends.
- Stay up-to-date on social media opportunities, trends and tools.
- Support other Marketing Department activities as needed, including assisting with occasional evening and weekend community outreach.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, marketing or similar field
- 4+ years’ experience in website design, social media marketing
- Storytelling principles, methods, techniques and modes
- Digital marketing principles, methods and tools
- Website development principles, methods and tools
- Email marketing tools (e.g. Constant Contact, Mailchimp)
- Adobe InDesign or Creative Cloud
- WordPress or other content management system; Flywheel or similar staging sites
- Google, Twitter and Facebook Analytics
- Microsoft Office Suite, collaborative tools (e.g. Box, Slack, etc.)
- Desired but not required: environmental sustainability, climate change or energy industry background
- Communicate complex information in a simple, understandable way that is appropriately tailored to specific target audiences. Use written, oral and visual methods for communication.
- Manage multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Take responsibility and work independently
- Collaborate with others, listen well and resolve conflicts
- Be thorough and detail-oriented
- Demonstrate patience, tact, and courtesy
PHYSICAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a typical office setting with exposure to computer screens and at public events (fairs, meeting rooms, farmers’ markets, etc.) with moderate noise and will require occasional evening and weekend work. The noise level in the work environment is usually typical of an office environment and public events.
PHYSICAL: While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit, walk, and stand; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; reach with hands and arms. Employees are occasionally required to walk and stand for prolonged periods; stoop, bend, kneel and twist; and may lift up to 20 pounds. Employees must be able to communicate in person, in writing, and by telephone with Board members, management, co-workers, vendors, consultants, and with the public in face-to-face, one-on-one, and group settings.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance and retirement plan contributions.
Submit applications to email@example.com with a subject line:
“Digital Marketing Specialist: [Your Name] ”
The application must include:
- Cover Letter
PENINSULA CLEAN ENERGY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER